Yeah, so... I love Twitter. This is a recent thing. I tried Twitter about 4 years ago. It was a personal account and I think I tweeted twice. For real - 2 times. I didn't really get it. And as so often happens... what I didn't understand I decided I didn't like and dropped it.
I tried it again at the beginning of last school year. It was an account I started so I could tweet updates and links to my classroom blog. It was nice. But not too exciting.
Then, about 6 months ago, I decided to try a Twitter chat. I am a ClassDojo Mentor and Ambassador and am a part of that community on Facebook. ClassDojo suggested joining #dojochat. So I did a quick google of Twitter chats (for dummies lol) and jumped in. Was it overwhelming? Yes! Was it a bit confusing? Yes! Was it awesome? Yes! Was it full of information? Yes! I am so glad I jumped in!
Here, for your information and enjoyment, are a few of the reasons I love Twitter:
1. Twitter expands your Professional Learning Network (PLN). I truly love my grade level team/Professional Learning Community (PLC), leadership team/PLC, and the contacts I have made at professional learning seminars and conferences. However, my ability to grow my PLN was limited to my personal experiences. Twitter has allowed me to create professional relationships with people all over the world. These people are technology experts, teachers, principals, reading specialists, authors, professional development speakers... the list goes on and on. My PLN is no longer defined to my limited experience! I have met many of these spectacular people through Twitter chats.
2. Twitter chats rock - I'm so serious. Twitter chats give you the opportunity to learn about a plethora of topics - just choose one that fits your fancy and try it out! I tried #21stedtech tonight and LOVED it so I will keep going back! I have tried others that were nice but didn't meet my needs or challenge my thinking so I just stopped by for a visit. That's it! No two year commitment or broken contract - just try it out! You can "lurk" and just read the conversation to start but I encourage you to push yourself and try commenting! People are so welcoming and excited for you to join the conversation. Really like someone's comments and ideas? Follow them! And the PLN grows...
3. When purposefully used for growth, Twitter will help you become a better educator. That is what I have always wanted. Many years ago, I taught at a private school that offered little in the way of professional development. I remember thinking, "I just want to be a better teacher. How do I do that?" Thankfully, about 5 years ago I was embraced by an AWESOME district and school that has given me so many opportunities to learn and grow as an educator. Now that I have added Twitter to the mix I am beyond excited about what I am learning and how I can implement it in my classroom. And isn't that what it is all about? Learning and growing so we can do our absolute best for the precious kiddos we are privileged to get to know each year.
If you are interested but feel overwhelmed and lost like I did here are a few tips:
1. Google what you don't know. Yep, it's that easy and it really does help.
2. Create your profile and include a picture!
3. This is an excellent article written by Craig Kemp: I'm an Educator, What Should I Tweet about? and then make sure you tweet!
4. Find an educator/author/organization who tweets (here are some to get you started: ClassDojo, GoNoodle, Edutopia, Wonderopolis, The Educator's Room, Pernille Ripp, Craig Kemp, Jennifer Gonzalez, Vicki Davis). Once you find someone you like, sneak a peek at who they follow - lots of gems there!
5. Try out some Twitter chats: #classdojo, #teacherfriends, #teacherswrite, #21stedtech, or search for some chats in your state, grade level, or interest.
Good luck! Let me know if you use Twitter or start using Twitter - I want to hear your stories! Oh, and by the way... my Twitter handle is @MrsDau - I would love to connect with you! :)
~Angela
Update: Here is an incredible post to help you get started on Twitter if you haven't already. Mr. Kemp rocks! 10 Steps to Creating the Perfect Educational Twitter Account
Update: Here is an incredible post to help you get started on Twitter if you haven't already. Mr. Kemp rocks! 10 Steps to Creating the Perfect Educational Twitter Account

No comments:
Post a Comment