Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Teachers Write! Tuesday Quick-Write

I am so excited to join #teacherswrite! As a teacher I have often felt that I should be writing just as much, if not more, than my students. I need to start practicing what I preach! I am going to try my best to participate in as many days of this Virtual Summer Writing Camp as possible.  You can find information about the Teachers Write here and here.

Today's prompt was provided by Phil Bildner.
 
Here is my quick-write based on observations of 12 cousins playing together:
 
Children. Like little ants. Running, tumbling, twirling. Hugging. Hitting. Silent. Playing softly - an imaginary story that only he knows. Singing and dancing - a song that only she can hear. Suddenly a symphony of sound and they are all connected. Friends and rivals. Moments shared, games constructed, art created, life lived! Joy and energy fill the room - it is truly electric. This electricity flows out and brings life to the adults fortunate to be there. Smiles and guffaws, even giggles from the weary ones. What a gift! What a blessing! Life breathed into us by the ones we gave life.
 
I truly enjoyed this prompt!  I did something similar to this last year with my fifth graders.  We read the book Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street by Roni Schotter. We discussed how much is truly happening around us - if only we would take time to notice it.  My students then went out in small teams to observe different parts of the building.  They had about 10 minutes at each location where they would journal anything and everything they saw or thought. When we reconvened students wrote a short story based on their observations. The writing they produced was excellent! I am hoping I saved some examples that I can post here once I can get back into my classroom. I have included one picture of a few of my students observing the playground at recess. People truly are wonderful prompts!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment